These scones are very delicious and buttery. The bursts of cranberries in the scones add a nice tartness to the dessert. It pairs nicely with a warm cup of tea in the cool weather.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and diced
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp heavy whipping cream
- In a large mixing bowl mix your flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder well. Then use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour. You want to end up with small pea sized pieces of butter. At this point you can add in your lemon zest and cranberries.
- In a measuring cup, mix together your cream and egg yolk, then pour into the flour mixture. Keep on combining the mixture until a dough forms. Wrap it in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for half an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F or 109 C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out your chilled dough into a rectangle that’s 1 1/2 to 2 cm thick. Cut the dough into triangles or circles depending on how you’re feeling.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
- I chose to just serve it with some glaze, it adds some sweetness to the scones. You can add some clotted cream and jam inside if you’d like. This also pairs nicely with a cup of hot tea.