Light fluffy pieces of dough drenched in a thick caramel, it’s the perfect dessert for any sweet craving. The pull apart dough also makes it great for sharing or great for you to munch on on your own.
Monkey bread tastes a lot like cinnamon rolls, but it’s more caramely and more shareable. Normally, monley bread is made in a large bundt pan, however, I made it in small bundt pans. If you don’t have any bundt pans, don’t fret, a normal round cake pan or even muffin tin will work. Just adjust the baking time a little to make sure your monkey bread is still being cooked properly.
If you want to make enjoy some monkey bread, but don’t want to make your own dough, you can substitue store bought biscuit dough instead. This makes the recipe really fast and easy to make.
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp of dry active yeast
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softenend
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsps cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Melt your butter and pour it into the whole milk. Heat this mixture until it feels slightly warmer than your finger, and add in the sugar and yeast. Give it a quick stir and let it set aside for ten minutes. It should get frothy.
- In a large bowl mix together the salt and flour, then pour in the bubbly yeast mixture. Knead it until a uniform ball forms. It shouldn’t stick to your hands much. Oil a bowl, set the dough ball inside, cover and let it rest in a warm area for an hour or two.
- Melt the butter in a shallow dish, and mix the sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Grease a bundt pan with butter or non-stick spray. Make sure to get in all the nooks and crannies.
- Take small pieces of dough rougly the size of a walnut, and roll it into an approximate sphere. Dip the dough ball into the melted butter generously, then roll it into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Finally place it into the bundt pan. Reapeat with the rest of the dough. Add in the left over sugar and butter into the pan once you’re done.
- Cover the bundt pan with plastic wrap or a towel and let it rise again for another hour in a warm place. Preheat your oven to 350 F or 175 C when the hour is almost up.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the caramel begins to bubble. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes, then flip it onto a plate.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and water to form your glaze, then drizzle it over your monkey bread. Serve warm.