A super moist chocolate cupcake topped with a rich and smooth peanut butter frosting. The perfect dessert for any peanut butter and Reese’s lovers.
This cupcake is quite rich and sweet due to the frosting, but if you want to tone the sweetness down, you can adjust the amount of powdered sugar in the frosting. I’m also a sucker for peanut butter, so I added a lot into the filling. You can add only a 3/4 cup, but I mean go big or go home.
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tsps molasses (optional)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
peanut butter frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 F or 175 C and line a 12 cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together well, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar, molasses, oil, and vanilla extract. Then add in half the dry ingredients, once it’s fully combined pour in the buttermilk and mix. Finally mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full with the batter, then bake in the preheated oven for 17-22 minutes or when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes bake, make the prosting by mixing the butter, peanut butter, and powdered sugar until smooth, then add in the whipping cream and mix until everthing comes together.
- Once the cupcakes cool, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and serve.